ORCID ID: 0000-0002-6897-8422
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-3915-427X
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2696-687X
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
ANALYSIS OF LOCAL CLIMATE ZONES OF KYIV CITY
According to the WUDAPT protocol which is based on the concept of local climate (LCZ) zones T. Oke and I. Stewart the territory of Kyiv was analyzed and was highlighted by the LСZ in the administrative boundaries of the city and within the built-up area (BUA). A map of the local climate zones of the city has been created. The existence of significant differences in the ratio between LCZs within the administrative boundaries of the city and within the BUA is disclosed. It is shown that the areas of LСZ with built-up territories (LСZ-1 – LСZ-9) cover about 40% within the administrative boundaries of Kyiv and over 65 % in BUA, and green areas (LСZ-A, B, C, and D) and water bodies (LСZ-G) cover 32,6 % within the BUA, which is almost twice less than within the administrative boundaries of the city (59,0 %). The LCZ-A are characterized by the biggest differences (dense trees) – within the administrative boundaries of Kyiv it accounts for 32,6 % of the territory, and within the BUA it accounts only 6,7 %. Thus, it is shown that within the territories where the citizens live and work (BUA) about 2/3 of the area is built-up areas with man-made surfaces which are characterized by a much lower albedo (compared to natural) and low water permeability, and accordingly, they are favorable for the formation of microclimatic features. The obtained results are very important for the study of microclimatic conditions and climate of Kyiv, assessment of the thermal comfort conditions of the urban environment, development of measures of adaptation the city to heat, and for solving a number of other practical problems.
Keywords: urban meteorology, city climate, urban heat island, local climate zone, WUDAPT.
- Auer, A. H., & Jr., (1978). Correlation of Land Use and Cover with Meteorological Anomalies. In Journal of Applied Meteorology (1962–1982). American Meteorological Society. 17, 636–643. DOI: 10.2307/26178517
- Bechtel, B., Alexander, P., Böhner, J., Ching, J., Conrad, O., Feddema, J., Mills, G., See, L., & Stewart, I. (2015). Mapping Local Climate Zones for a Worldwide Database of the Form and Function of Cities. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 4(1), 199–219. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi4010199
- Chandler, T. J., (1965) The Climate of London. Hutchinson.
- Ching, J., Brown, M., Burian, S., Chen, F., Cionco, R., Hanna, A., Hultgren, T., McPherson, T., Sailor, D., Taha And, H., & Williams, D., (2009). National urban database and access portal tool. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 90(8), 1157–1168. DOI: 10.1175/2009BAMS2675.1
- Danylo, O., See, L., Bechtel, B., Schepaschenko, D., & Fritz, S., (2016). Contributing to WUDAPT: A Local Climate Zone Classification of Two Cities in Ukraine. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 9(5), 1841–1853. DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2016.2539977
- Davenport, A. G., Grimmond, C. S. B., Oke, T. R., Wieringa, J., & Society, A. M., (2000). Estimating the roughness of cities and sheltered country. American Meteorological Society, 96–99.
- Demuzere, M., Bechtel, B., Middel, A., & Mills, G., (2019). Mapping Europe into local climate zones. PLOS ONE, 14(4), e0214474. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214474
- Ellefsen, R., (1991). Mapping and measuring buildings in the canopy boundary layer in ten U.S. cities. Energy and Buildings, 16 (3–4), 1025– 1049. DOI: 10.1016/0378-7788(91)90097-M
- Grimmond, C. S. B., & Oke, T., (1999). Aerodynamic Properties of Urban Areas Derived from Analysis of Surface Form. Journal of Applied Meteorology, 38(9), 1262–1292. DOI: 10.1175/1520-0450(1999)038< 1262:APOUAD>2.0.CO;2
- Heolohichnoyi sluzhby SSHA [US Geological Survey] Retrieved from http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
- Holovne upravlinnia statystyky v m. Kyievi [Main Department of Statistics in Kyiv]. Retrieved from: http://kiev.ukrstat.gov.ua/ (In Ukrainian)
- Oke, T., (2004) Initial guidance to obtain representative meteorological observations at urban sites. IOM Rep. 81, WMO/TD-No. 1250, 47 pp. Retrieved from: www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/IMOP/ publications/IOM-81/IOM-81-UrbanMetObs.pdf
- Shevchenko, O., Matviienko, M., & Snizhko, S. (2020). A GIS and WUDAPT based mapping of the local climate zones in Ukrainian cities. Geoinformatics: Theoretical and Applied Aspects 2020, (1), 1–5. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.2020geo100
- Sida, J., Huang, F., Zhan, W., Bechtel, B., Liu, Z., Demuzere, M., Huang, Y., Quan, J., Xia, W., Ma, L., Hong, F., Jiang, L., Lai, J., Wan, C., Kong, F., Du, H., Miao S., Chen, Y., Zhang, X., (2021). Mapping Local Climate Zones: A Bibliometric Meta-Analysis and Systematic Review. OSF Preprints. Retrieved from osf.io/c2bez
- Stewart, I., & Oke, T. (2009). Classifying urban climate field sites by “local climate zones”: the case of Nagano, Japan. 7th International Conference on Urban Climate, 1-5 http://www.ide.titech.ac.jp/
- Stewart, I., & Oke, T., (2012). Local Climate Zones for Urban Temperature Studies. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 93(12), 1879–1900. DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00019.1
- Wilmers, F., (1990). Effects of vegetation on urban climate and buildings. Energy and Buildings, 15(3–4), 507–514. DOI:10.1016/0378- 7788(90)90028-h
Matviienko М., Shevchenko О., Snizhko S., 2021. Analysis of local climate zones of Kyiv city. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3/4 (80/81), 31-35 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English), DOI: 10.17721/1728-2721.2021.80-81.5
Received Editorial Board 15.10.2021
Accepted for publication 09.11.2021