ORCID ID: 0000-0001-7653-7419
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
GEOGRAPHY OF CRIME IN UKRAINIAN REGIONAL CENTERS
The article considers the issue of the spread of criminal offenses in the regional centers of Ukraine in 2015–2019, as well as in the first half of 2020. The purpose of the article is to reveal the topic of crime in the regional centers of Ukraine, as one of the most important problems for the further development of Ukraine as a European state. The author focuses on the place of some Ukrainian regional centers in the ranking of criminal cities in the world. Using the statistical data of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, the author calculated the intensity of crime in the regional centers of Ukraine for 2015–2019, as well as the intensity of crime in the regional centers of Ukraine for six months of 2020.
Based on the data calculated by the formula of crime intensity, the author grouped regional cities of Ukraine by low, below medium, medium and above medium crime rate. The research identified the cities with the largest and smallest number of recorded serious and especially serious criminal offenses per 10 thousand inhabitants; cities with the largest and smallest number of recorded criminal offenses committed in the field of trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, their analogues or precursors and other crimes against public health per 10 thousand inhabitants; cities with the largest and smallest number of recorded criminal offenses committed in the field of economic activity per 10 thousand inhabitants; cities with the largest and smallest number of recorded criminal offenses committed in the field of official activities and professional activities related to the provision of public services per 10 thousand inhabitants; cities with the largest and smallest number of identified persons who committed criminal offenses per 10 thousand inhabitants in 2018. The article also calculates the number of detected 2018 minors and juveniles who committed criminal offenses per 10 thousand inhabitants.
The author touches on the issue of latent crime, a victimological opinion polls and provides a list of measures that can prevent an increase in the number of criminal offenses in the regional centers of Ukraine.
Keywords: geography of crime, the intensity of the crime, criminal offenses, regional cities.
- Beschastnyi, V., (2017). Kryminalnyi analiz stanu zlochynnosti v Ukraini. [Criminal analysis of the state of crime in Ukraine]. Entrepreneurship, economy and law, 1, 2007–2013. Retrieved from: http://pgp-journal.kiev.ua/archive/2017/1/40.pdf (In Ukrainian).
- Chaplyk, M., (2014). Heohrafichni osoblyvosti ukrainskoi zlochynnosti: sotsiolohichnyi analiz. [Geographical features of geographical crime: a sociological analysis]. Modern social problems in measuring the sociology of management, Vol. 15, issue 281, 487–496 (In Ukrainian).
- Crime Index by City 2020 Mid-Year. Retrieved from: https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp?title=2020-mid
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Rehionalna statystyka. [State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Regional statistics]. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ (In Ukrainian).
- Glybovets, V., (2018). Heohrafiia kryminalnykh pravoporushen Ukrainy [Geography of criminal offenses of Ukraine]. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography, 1(70), 93–98. DOI: /10.17721/1728-2721.2018.70.17 (In Ukrainian).
- Glybovets, V., (2019). Heohrafiia kryminalnykh pravoporushen mista Kyieva [Geography of criminal offenses of Kyiv city].Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography, 1(74), 54–59. DOI:10.17721/1728-2721.2019.74.10 (In Ukrainian).
- Hurstiieva, Yu., (2019). Kryminolohichna kharakterystyka umysnykh vbyvstv iz koryslyvykh motyviv ta zapobihannia yim. [Criminological characteristics of premeditated murders for selfish motives and their prevention]. Dissertation. Kharkiv. Retrieved from: http://criminology.nlu.edu.ua/ wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Disertatsiya-Gurstiyevoyi-YU.O.pdf (In Ukrainian).
- Kachurovska, V., Olvinska, Yu., (2016). Statystychne doslidzhenni rivnia zlochynnosti v Ukraini [Statistical research on the level of crime in Ukraine]. Statistics is a tool of socio-economic research: a collection of scientific student works, issue 2, Odesa, ONEU, 15–19. (In Ukrainian).
- Kandrychyn, S., (2010). Prestupnost v areale “stolknovenyia tsyvylyzatsyi”: prymer Ukrayni y Belarusy [Crime in real life “clash of civilizations”: the example of Ukraine and Belarus]. Sociology: theory, methods, marketing, 3, 71–83. (In Russian).
- Kurcheev, V. S., Svyrydov Y. V., Tiuhashev E. A., (2009). Homo urbanus: Mehapolys v zerkale krymynolohyy [Homo urbanus: Menapolis in the mirror of criminolonia]. Monograph, Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk State University (In Russian).
- Ovchynskyi, S.S., (2007). Prestupnoe nasylye. Prestupnost v horodakh [Criminal violence. Urban crime]. Moscow: YNFRA-M (In Russian).
- Portal vidkrytykh danykh. Yedynyi zvit pro kryminalni pravoporushennia [Open data portal. Single report on criminal offenses]. Retrieved from: https://data.gov.ua/dataset/4d8e1ba8-f036-4fbd-827c- fc3282fd0258(In Ukrainian).
- Pro zareiestrovani kryminalni pravoporushennia ta rezultaty yikh dosudovoho rozsliduvannia (2013–2016): statystychna informatsiia Heneralnoi prokuratury Ukrainy. [About registered criminal offenses and results of their pre-trial investigation (2013–2016): statistical information of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: http://www.gp.gov.ua/ua/stat.htm (In Ukranian).
- Prokuratura mista Kyieva. Yedynyi zvit pro kryminalni pravoporushennia za hruden 2019 roku [Kyiv City Prosecutor’s Office. The full report on criminal offenses for December 2019]. Retrieved from: https://kyiv.gp.gov.ua/ua/documents.html?dir_id=113962&libid=&sort=addtime&tsort=desc# (In Ukranian).
- Pyvovarov, V., Froliak, M., (2017). Osoblyvosti determinatsii zlochynnosti u velykomu misti [Features of crime determination in a big city]. Legal scientific electronic journal, 1, 152–156. Retrieved from: http://lsej.org.ua/1_2017/39.pdf (In Ukrainian).
- Shakun, V. I., (1996). Urbanizatsiia i zlochynnist v Ukraini [Urbanization and crime in Ukraine]. Dissertation. Kyiv (In Ukranian).
- Shostko, O., Podilchak, O., 2020. Suchasni svitovi tendentsii zlochynnosti [Modern world crime trends]. Administrative law and process. Criminology. Problems of legality. Issue 148, 184–200. DOI: 10.21564/2414- 990x.148.193805 (In Ukrainian).
- Starkov, O. V., (2012). Krymynalnaia subkultura: spetskurs [Criminal subculture: special course]. Moscow: Volters Kluver (In Russian).
- UNODC, Global Study on Homicide 2019 (Vienna, 2019). Booklet 1, 30. Retrieved from: https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and- analysis/gsh/Booklet1.pdf
- Zvitnist: sudova statystyka (2010–2016) [Reporting: judicial statistics (2010–2016)]. Judiciary of Ukraine: official web portal. Retrieved from: http://court.gov.ua/sudova_statystyka (In Ukrainian).
Glybovets V., 2021. Geography of crime in Ukrainian regional centers. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3/4 (80/81), 23-30 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English), DOI: 10.17721/1728-2721.2021.80-81.4
Received Editorial Board 20.07.2021
Accepted for publication 09.11.2021