Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
GENESIS OF POLITICAL GEOGRAPHY AND GEOPOLITICS
For the first time, polit-geographical information on the antique sources occurred in Strabon’s “Geography” (63 B. C. – 23 A. D.) on China in chronicles “Shuzin” and “Shizin” (І B. C.). Geospatial motifs of geopolitics we meet in treatise Sun-Tzu “The Art of War” (IV B. C.), on India “The Arthashastra” (endeavour Kautilya, IV B. C.). The making of political geography and geopolitics as sciences take place during the XX century. A bottom contemporary scientific search in these sciences has the same object of investigation (territorial political systems) but the subjects and genesis of this investigation are quite different. During the XX century, a geopolitical epoch made new challenges that burned a new need for geospatial research. At the beginning of centuries, the answer looked at geographical determinism and dualistic paradigms; in the Wersalle epoch the US grew as the strongest state in the World, but in the European and Japanese geopolitics were strong nationalistic influences; in the Potsdam epoch – developed civilizations paradigm and “World Order” paradigm, theory of territorial political systems.
Keywords: political geography, geopolitics, genesis, territorial political systems, geopolitical eras.
- Agnew J. A. (1987) Place and Politics. – London: Allen&Urwin.
- Agnew J. A. (2002) Making Political Geography. – London; N. Y.
- Bowman I. (1921) The New World: Problems in Political Geography. World Book Company. – N. Y.
- Cohen S. B. (1973) Geography and Politics in a World Divided / 2nd ed. –
N. Y.: Oхford University Press.
- Geopolitics: Re-Visioning World Politics. – London; N. Y., 1998.
- Gottman J. (1952) La politique des etats et leur geographie. – Paris.
- Hartshorn R. (1950) The functional approach in political geography. “Annals of the Assoc. of American Geographes”.
- Henri Kissinger (2014) World Order. PenguinPress. – N. Y.
- Kjellen R. (1924) Der Staat als Lebensform. – Berlin.
- Mackinder H. J. (1904) The Geographical Pivot of History. The Geographical Journal. 23. p. 421–437.
- Ratzel F. (1897) Politische Geographie. Munich.
- Reclues E. (1905–1908) L’Homme et la Terre. – Paris: Librarie Universelle.
- Spykman N. J. (1942) Americas Strategy in World Politics. – N. Y.
- Sun Tzu (2002) The Art of War. – New York. Barner & Noble Books.
- Dnistryanskyi M. S. (2011) Heopolityka [Geopolitics]. – Lviv. Edition. LNU. (In Ukranian)
- Kolosov V. A. (1981) Polytycheskaya heohrafyya: problemy y metody. [Political geography: problems and methods] L. (In Russian)
- Kolosov V. A., Myronenko N. S. (2001) Heopolytyka y polytycheskaya heohrafyya [Geopolitics and Political Geography]. – Moscow. (In Russian)
- Mayerhoyz Y. M. (1971) Nekotorye voprosy polytyko- heohrafycheskohoy zuchenyya kapytalystycheskykh stran. [Some issues of political and geographical study of capitalist countries]. – Moscow. Issue 1. – pp. 33–50. (In Russian)
- Rudnytskyy S. (1923) Ukrayins’ka sprava zi stanovlennya politychnoyi heohrafiyi [Ukrainian case on the formation of political geography]. – Berlin. (In Ukranian)
- Sun-Dzy (2018) Mystetstvo viyny. [The Art of War] – Lviv. (In Ukranian)
- Sun-Tszy (2006) Yskusstvo stratehyy. [The Art of Strategy]. – Moscow. (In Russian)
- Yatsenko B. P. (2007) Politychna heohrafiya i heopolityka. [Political Geography and Geopolitics] – Kyiv, “Lybid”. (In Ukranian)
B. Yatsenko, 2021. Genesis of political geography and geopolitics. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3/4 (80/81), 14-17 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English), DOI: 10.17721/1728-2721.2021.80-81.2
Received Editorial Board 20.10.2021
Accepted for publication 09.11.2021