THE TYPIFICATION OF THE REGIONS OF UKRAINE BY POSSIBILITIES FOR SUSTAINABLE WASTE MANAGEMENT
PhD Economy, Associate Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Sustainable waste management is an urgent task for modern science and management practice. The search for effective governance mechanisms within the framework of this study was performed in accordance with the concept of sustainable development and circular economy. The transition to a sustainable waste management model is considered as an advancing process to increase the part of mass production and consumption waste which is returned to the manufacturing cycle. In this regard, the assessment of sustainable waste management in the regions should include the dynamics indicators on the main components of waste management. The methodology of this study is based on the generalization of sustainable waste management indicators, which have been analyzed at a certain point in time and in the dynamics as well. The regions of the country were grouped by waste management efficiency. The selected four groups of regions are located rather compact, they have common features in terms of production profile and waste structure. The typification of the regions of Ukraine was developed on the basis of grouping, as well as taking into account the specialization of regions in one or a few main industries, levels of urbanization of these regions. Five types of regions were identified: two types with a high share of municipal waste, regions with a predominance of industrial waste, and two types of industrial-agrarian regions where the waste of different types is generated with a significant share of agricultural waste. Regions of the same type are typically characterized by the similarity of waste management issues. These can be both traditional problems of accumulating large quantities of waste in landfills, as well as new challenges related to population migration, the formation of new administrative units (united territorial communities), which change the functioning of the current system of waste management. Significant differences in the main waste management indicators for different types require the use of similar (typical) approaches to the development of regional strategies and regional waste management plans.
waste, sustainable development, circular economy, waste management efficiency, typification
- Dovkillia Ukrainy za 2017 rik. Statystychnyi zbirnyk. – K.: Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy, 2018 – 225 s.
- Mezentsev K.V., Pidhrushnyi H.P., Mezentseva N.I. Rehionalnyi rozvytok v Ukraini: suspilno-prostorova nerivnist i poliaryzatsiia: Monohrafiia. – K.: DP «Print Servis», 2014. – 132 s.
- Monitorynh ozelenennia ekonomiky pry realizatsii uhody pro asotsiatsiiu Ukraina – YeS. Analitychna dopovid. – // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://www.civic-synergy.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Monitoryng-ozelenennya-ekonomiky-pry-realizatsiyi-Ugody-pro-asotsiatsiyu-Ukrayina-YES.pdf
- Stan sfery povodzhennia z pobutovymy vidkhodamy v Ukraini za 2016 ta 2013 roky. Ministerstvo rozvytku hromad ta terytorii Ukrainy // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: http://www.minregion.gov.ua/napryamki-diyalnosti/zhkh/terretory/stan-sferi-povodzhennya-z-pobutovimi-vidhodami-v-ukrayini-za-2016-rik/
- Stratehiia staloho rozvytku Ukrainy do 2030 roku. Proekt 2017 // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: http://www.ua.undp.org/content/ukraine/uk/home/library/sustainable-development-report/Sustainable-Dev-Strategy-for-Ukraine-by-2030.html
- Andersen M.S. An introductory note on the environmental economics of the circular economy // Sustainability Science – 2007. – № 2, P. 133–140.
- Banaitė, D.; Tamošiūnienė, R. Sustainable development: the circular economy indicators’ selection model // Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues. – 2016. – № 6(2).- P. 315–323.
- Burton, C.H., Turner C. Manure Management: Treatment Strategies for Sustainable Agriculture. 2nd / Silsoe: Silsoe Research Institute, 2003 – 451 p.
- Georgeson, Maslin M., Poessinouw M. The global green economy: a review of concepts, definitions, measurement methodologies and their interactions Geo: Geography and Environment. – 2017. – № 4 (1) // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://rgs-ibg.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/geo2.36
- Global indicator framework adopted by the General Assembly (A/RES/71/313) including annual refinements contained in E/CN.3/2018/2 (Annex II) and E/CN.3/2019/2 (Annex II). – // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/indicators/Global%20Indicator%20Framework%20after%202019%20refinement_Eng.pdf
- Heeres, R.R., Vermeulen, W.J.V., deWalle, F.B., Eco-industrial park initiatives in the USA and the Netherlands :first lessons // Journal of Cleaner Production.- 2004. – № 12 (8–10), P. 985–995.
- Lewandowski, M., Designing the Business Models for Circular Economy // Sustainability. – 2016. – №. 8(1), P. 1-28.
- Mendes, Santos A., Nunes L., Teixeira M. Evaluating municipal solid waste management performance in regions with strong seasonal variability // Ecological Indicators. – 2013. – № 30. – P. 170–177.
- Nilsson-Djerf, J., McDougall, F., Social factors in sustainable waste management // Warmer Bulletin. – 2000. – № 73. – P. 18–20.
- Sustainable development in the European Union: Monitoring report on progress towards the SDGs in an EU 2018 edition – Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2018. – 356 р.
- The Global Waste Management Outlook // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://www.uncclearn.org/sites/default/files/inventory/unep23092015.pdf
- Towards The Circular Economy Vol. 1: An Economic And Business Rationale For An Accelerated Transition. Ellen MacArthur Foundation. 2013.- // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/assets/downloads/publications/Ellen-MacArthur-Foundation-Towards-the-Circular-Economy-vol.1.pdf
- Tracking progress on Sustainable Development Goals for the regions of Ukraine: choosing indicators and setting baselines. – Kyiv, 2019. – 270 P. – // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: http://www.ua.undp.org/content/ukraine/uk/home/library/sustainable-development-report/tracking-progress-on-SDGs-for-the-regions-of-Ukraine.html?fbclid=IwAR06_0XRAoHKq-u3JNXuyI0ot9sP4roY6OLrFQ2Ik6JbvF6w-uh745Z7vXk
- Waste prevention in Europe – policies, status and trends in reuse in 2017. EEA Report No 4/2018/ – // Elektronnyi resurs. – Rezhym dostupu: https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/waste-prevention-in-europe-2017
Kononenko, O., Molodyka, V., 2019. The typification of the regions of Ukraine by possibilities for sustainable waste management. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 2 (75), 28-34 (in Ukranian, abstr. in English), doi: 10.17721/1728-2721.2019.75.5
Received Editorial Board 28.11.2019
Accepted for publication 01.12.2019