GEOGRAPHY OF CRIMINALITY OF UKRAINE
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
The article deals with the spreading of criminal offenses in Ukraine in 2017. The purpose of the article is to reveal the crime topic in Ukraine as one of the most important problems of its further development as a European state. The author focuses on the place of Ukraine in the international ratings, such as the Global Index of the World, the Global Index to terrorism etc.
Using statistical data from the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, the author has compiled a table of the level of criminal offenses by regions of Ukraine.
Basing on the analysis of the table, the areas in which the crime in 2017 grew or decreased (in compressing with the previous year) is highlighted. The rating of areas for 2017 and 2016 was compiled and compared with each other.
The article highlights the types of criminal offenses the number of which are the largest and the smallest in each area of Ukraine. The author presents the probable reasons that lead to the predominance of thefts, as well as grave and especially grave crimes over other types of crimes in the regions of Ukraine. Attention is paid to a criminal offense related to pimping. The areas in which in 2017 were recorded the cases of pimping are listed.
The author of the article counted the number of crimes in the regions of Ukraine per 1000 people. Highlighted areas with the highest, average and lowest number of crimes per 1000 inhabitants.
The author emphasizes that educated people leave the country for Europe, Canada, the United States, China and other countries, reducing the number of intellectuals who are less inclined to commit crimes. The article describes the main factors that determine the geographical differences of crime and the measures to prevent the increase of the number of criminal offenses in the regions of Ukraine is proposed.
geography of crime, criminal offense, Global Peace Index, Global Terrorism Index.
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrayiny [Electronic resource] Access mode: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Kryminalnyj kodeks Ukrayiny. Ch.1, st. 11.
- ZIK: Novyny Ukrainy. [Electronic resource] Access mode: https://zik.ua/tag/sutenerstvo
- U 2017 policiya vy`yavy`la 371 kry`minal`ne pravoporushennya, pov’yazane z sutenerstvom [Electronic resource] Access mode: http://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1709160-u-2017-politsiya-viyavila-371-kriminalne-pravoporushennya-povyazane-z-sutenerstvom-krischenko
- Ukrayna voshla v TOP-10 samыx opasnыx stran po urovnyu nasy`ly`ya y` prestupnosty` [Electronic resource] Access mode: https://strana.ua/news/17035-ukraina-voshla-v-top-10-samyh-opasnyh-stran-v-mire.html
- Uroven` prestupnosty` na Ukrayne sopostavy`m s Ugandoj [Electronic resource] Access mode: https://ukraina.ru/news/20171127/1019568151.html
- Gans Yoakhim. Kriminologiya: Per. s nem / Pod obshch. red. L.O. Ivanova – M.. 1994
- Bunge, Vі Fitzgerald: The Geography of a Revolution, 1971
- Global Terrorism Index 2017 [Electronic resource] Access mode: http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uploads/2017/11/Global-Terrorism-Index-2017.pdf
- Harvey, David. Social Justice and the City, 1973
Glybovets V. (2018) Geography of criminality of Ukraine. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka GEOGRAFIYA [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 1 (70), 93-98 (in Ukranian, abstr. in English).