SPATIO-TEMPORAL DISTRIBUTION OF WIND SPEED AND DAILY MAXIMUM WIND SPEED IN MOROCCO FOR THE PERIOD 2020-2050
Khokhlov V., El Hadri Y.
Odessa State Environmental University, Odessa, Ukraine
The Moroccan energy system is highly dependent on external energy markets. Therefore, the current renewable energy strategy is focused on deployment of large-scale renewable technologies projects. Morocco has abundant wind resources. Estimations made by development organizations in Morocco quantify that the economic and technical potential of wind energy in Morocco amount to 26 GW. The aim of this study is to determine the possible quantitative indicators of wind speed, the daily maximum wind speed and their space-time distribution in the period 2020-2050 on the territory of Morocco. In study used data from regional climate modelling with a high spatial resolution of the project CORDEX. Simulations of regional climate models provide opportunities for a better understanding of atmospheric processes in the region and their possible future change. In the study use of regional climate models simulations for the RCP 4.5 scenario for the Africa region, presented in a rectangular coordinate system with a spatial resolution of ≈ 44 km. As a result of the regional climate models calculation, the mean monthly Near-Surface Wind Speed, and Daily Maximum Near-Surface Wind Speed values for the period 2020-2050 for the territory of Morocco were obtained. Regional climate models simulations showed that in Morocco will be dominated by gentle and moderate winds. The smallest values of the average wind speed are predicted in Fez − Meknes and Beni-Mellal − Henifra regions and will be about 3 m/s, the highest values can reach 9 m/s on the Atlantic coast to the south of Dakhla village. An analysis showed that in the future a character of annual course, in general, will have two types: in central mountain regions of Atlas, in the northeastern part of country and on the Mediterranean coast maximum wind speed will be register in winter; summer seasonal maximum of wind speed will be typical on the flat areas of the Atlantic coast, in the southern part of the country and on areas located behind the ridges of the Atlas mountains on the border with Algeria. The most favorable for the development of wind energy will be areas located on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean and in the southern part of Morocco.
wind speed, daily maximum wind speed, gust factor, regional climate models, Morocco, CORDEX-Africa.
- Alisov B.P., Poltaraus B.V. M., 1974.
- Vorob’ev V.I. Sinopticheskaya meteorologiya. St. Petersburg, 1991.
- de Renzo (Ed.) Vetrojenerretika. M., 1982.
- Drozdov O.A., Vasil’ev V.A., Kobysheva N.V., Raevskij A.N., Smekalova L.K., Shkol’nyj E.P. Klimatologiya. St. Petersburg, 1989.
- Metodicheskie ukazanija «Provedenie izyskatel’skih rabot po ocenke vetrojenergeticheskih resursov obosnovanija shem razmeshhenija i proektirovanija vetrojenergeticheskih ustanovok». RD 52.04.275-89. M., 1991.
- Pavlova T.V., Katsov V.M., Meleshko V.P., Shkol’nik I.M., Govorkova V.A., Nadezhina E.D. Novoe pokolenie klimaticheskih modelej. Trudy GGO im. A.I. Voeykova, 2014, no. 575. pp. 5-64.
- Slizhe M.O., Semergej-Chumachenko A.B., Jel’ Hadri Jussef. Sovremennoe raspredelenie vetra v Marokko. Ukrayins’kyy hidrometeorolohichnyy zhurnal, 2016. №17. pp. 61-69.
- Donat M.G., Leckebusch G.C., Wild S., Ulbrich U. Future changes in European winter storm losses and extreme wind speeds inferred from GCM and RCM multi-model simulations. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 2011. no. 11. рр. 1351-1370. doi:10.5194/nhess-11-1351-2011
- Graybeal D.Y. Relationships among daily mean and maximum wind speeds, with application to data quality assurance. Int. J. Climatol. 2006, no. 26. pp. 29-43. DOI: 10.1002/joc.1237
- Harris A.R. On Establishing a Climatology of Gust Factors and Assessing Their Ability to Forecast Wind Gusts in Milwaukee, WI. Theses and Dissertations. 2016. URL:https://dc.uwm.edu/etd/1150
- IS-ENES climate4impact portal. URL:https://climate4impact.eu/ (accessed 23.09.2017)
- Renewable Energy Transitions in Jordan and the MENA Region. Amman, 2015. URL:http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/amman/12045.pdf (accessed: 10.03.2018)
- Roadmap for a renewable energy future. URL:http://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/Publications/IRENA_REmap_2016_edition_summary.pdf (accessed: 10.01.2018)
- Tong W. Wind Power Generation and Wind Turbine Design. Southampton, 2010.
Khokhlov V., El Hadri Y. (2018) Spatio-temporal distribution of wind speed and daily maximum wind speed in Morocco for the period 2020-2050. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka GEOGRAFIYA [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 1 (70), 68-71 (in Ukranian, abstr. in English).