QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF BARIC SYSTEM’S INTEGRAL AND DYNAMIC CHARACTERISTICS
Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Institute, Kyiv, Ukraine
Cyclones and anticyclones are the main objects in a study of the atmospheric circulation in midlatitudes. Consideration of baric systems, which usually are very mobile objects with complex vertical structure, requires analysis of general features of their genesis and evolution on the one hand as well as well as specific dynamic characteristics in each moment of their existence. Results of such analysis allow performing a classification of baric systems based on different features and systematize atmospheric processes in general. Currently, such an approach in baric systems study applies exclusively to the cyclones, while anticyclones become an object of research mainly in the context of atmospheric blocking. In this situation a lack of unified methods, which can be applied to both cyclones and anticyclones, became obvious.
The purpose of this research is to compose a set of parameters for integral specification and characterizing of extratropical cyclones and anticyclones movement in the low and middle troposphere and propose methods of their calculation.
The region of baric system’s spatial spread describes its general spread in the troposphere. Localization of this region is based on recognition of zones, outlined by baric system’s enclosed isolines on each vertical level, where it is present during its whole lifetime. The intensity of baric system is defined through its accumulated presence within the region of its spatial spread. The more baric system exists and the less it moves, the more intensive it is considered. Geopotential height anomaly, calculated on the highest level of baric system’s vertical spread, allows intercomparing different baric systems regardless of their seasonal features. Mode of baric system movement takes into account its velocity to describe behaviour on the different parts of its trajectory. Calculation of this characteristic performs in a different way for cyclones and anticyclones due to a difference of their nature and defined with different categories. Baric system movement direction describes vector of its overall displacement and depends on the location of the first and the last points of trajectory. Digital encoding of calculated characteristics allows intercomparing baric systems easily taking into account up to six parameters at once.
Developed methods of baric system’s characteristics estimation are universal and simple enough to study various types of atmospheric processes over extended periods of time easily.
baric system, cyclone, anticyclone, method, reanalysis.
- Dacre F. The Spatial Distribution and Evolution Characteristics of North Atlantic Cyclones / H. F. Dacre, S. L. Gray // Monthly wether review. – 2009. – Vol. 137. – P. 99–115.
- Dare A. Characteristics of Tropical Cyclones in the Australian Region / Richard A. Dare, Noel E. Davidson // Monthly wether review. – 2004. – Vol. 132. – P. 3049–3065.
- Harr A. Large-Scale Circulation Variability over the Tropical Western North Pacific. Part I: Spatial Patterns and Tropical Cyclone Characteristics / Patrick A. Harr, Russell L. Elsberry // Monthly wether review. – 1995. – Vol. 123. – P. 1225–1246.
- Kaplan Large-Scale Characteristics of Rapidly Intensifying Tropical Cyclones in the North Atlantic Basin / John Kaplan, Mark DeMaria // Weather and Forecasting. – 2003. – Vol. 19. – P. 1093–1108
- Rudeva Climatology of Cyclone Size Characteristics and Their Changes during the Cyclone Life Cycle / Irina Rudeva, Sergey K. Gulev // Monthly wether review. – 2007. – Vol. 135. – P. 2568–2578.
- Polonsky`j A. B. Y`zmenchy`vost` cy`klony`cheskoj akty`vnosty` v Chernomorsko-Sredy`zemnomorskom regy`one v svyazy` s processamy` v Ty`xom okeane y` Atlanty`ke / A. B. Polonsky`j, E. N. Voskresenskaya, V. N. Maslova // Dop. Nacz. akad. Ukrayiny`. – 2012. – # 3. – S. 123–131.
- Voskresenskaya N. Parametry anty`cy`klonov v Chernomorsko-Sredy`zemnomorskom regy`one y` y`x kly`maty`chesky`e y`zmeneny`ya / E. N. Voskresenskaya, O. Yu. Kovalenko // Ekologichna bezpeka pry`berezhnoyi ta shel`fovoyi zon ta kompleksne vy`kory`stannya resursiv shel`fu : zb. nauk. pr. / Nacz. akad. nauk Ukrayiny`, Mor. gidrofiz. in-t NAN Ukrayiny`, In-t geol. nauk NAN Ukrayiny`. – Sevastopol`, 2013. – Vy`p. 27. – S. 195–199.
- Toptunova N. Y`zmeneny`ya cy`klony`chesky`h rezhy`mov Severnogo y` Yuzhnogo polushary`j v uslovy`yax menyayushhegosya kly`mata [Эlektronnыj resurs] / Toptunova Ol`ga Ny`kolaevna, Any`sky`na Ol`ga Georgy`evna // Nauch. zhurn. KubGAU : [эlektron. nauch. zhurn. Kubanskogo gos. agrar. un-ta]. – Tekst. dan. – Krasnodar, 2015. – # 114. – Rezhy`m dostupa: http://ej.kubagro.ru/2015/10/pdf/25.pdf. – Zagl. s эkrana.
- Samchuk, V. Kompleksna metody`ka ob’yekty`vnoyi identy`fikaciyi cy`kloniv u poli pry`zemnogo ty`sku / Ye. V. Samchuk // Nauk. pr. Ukr. n.-d. gidrometeorol. in tu / Derzh. sluzhba Ukrayiny` z nadzvy`chajn. sy`tuacij, NAN Ukrayiny`. – Ky`yiv, 2015. – Vy`p. 267. – S. 109–113 : tabl., ry`s. – Bibliogr.: 8 nazv
- Nedostrelova V. Эnergety`chesky`e aspektы bloky`ruyushhego anty`cy`klona, vzay`modejstvuyushhego s cy`klonom / L. V. Nedostrelova // Visn. Odes. derzh. ekol. un-tu. – 2011. – Vy`p. 12. – S. 104–112.
- Mamontova Y`. Meteorology`chesky`j slovar` / L. Y`. Mamontova, S. P. Xromov. – Leny`ngrad : Gy`drometeoy`zdat, 1974. – 568 s.
Samchuk E. (2017) Quantitative estimation of baric system’s integral and dynamic characteristics. Visnyk Kyivskogo natsionalnogo universytetu, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3-4 (68-69), 165-169 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).