GEOGRAPHY OF MILITARY TOURISM RESOURCE BASE IN USA (ХVIII-XIX CENT.)
Smyrnov I., Burnis V.
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
The peculiarities of the resource base of military tourism on the example of the USA are considered, in particular, military-historical tourist objects connected with the American War for Independence and the Civil War. The division of military tourism into such subspecies as military-historical, armoured, military -tourism, military-historical festivals and reconstructions have been described. The list of countries of the world – the leaders on the number of tourist arrivals and the volume of tourism revenues and the place of the USA in this register are given. The features of the US military-historical tourist objects associated with the War of Independence (1775-1783) are revealed, in particular: the Washington Monument, the mansion of the first US president ”Mount Vernon”, the Yorktown Battle Museum and the Victory Center, the National Military Historical Park “Saratoga”, National Military History Park “Gilfort Courthouse”, US Military Academy “West Point”. Connected with the Civil War in the United States (1861-1865) are military-historical tourist sites such as: the Lincoln Memorial, the National Museum of the Civil War of the United States, the National Monument “Fort Sumter”, the National Military Park “Shailo”, the Museum Battle of Antitam, Vicksberg National Military Park, Petersberg Museum of Fight, Gettisberg National Historical Park. The geographic features of the US military tourism resource base in the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries have been analyzed. The results of the analysis are summarized in the table, from which it is evident that objects of the resource base of tourism related to the War of Independence are concentrated in four US states, namely, Virginia (2 ), New York (2), the Federal District of Columbia (1) and North Carolina (1), and tourist sites related to the Civil War are located mainly in eight states, with three of them – in the state of Pennsylvania and one – in the Federal District of Columbia, one – in South Carolina, one – in Tennessee, one – in Maryland, one – in Mississippi. All together there are 14 monuments belonging to the War of Independence and the Civil War, and they are located in 9 states, with the largest monuments concentrated in the state of Pennsylvania (3, all related to the Civil War), the Federal District of Columbia ( 2), Virginia (2 – associated with the War of Independence). Of the all 14 monuments, six relate to the War of Independence, and eight – to the Civil War.
military tourism, resource base, USA, War for Independence, Civil War, geography.
- Kliap M.P. Suchasni riznovydy turyzmu : navch. posib. / M.P. Kliap, F.F. Shandor. – K. : Znannia, 2011. – 334 s.
- Oliinyk Ia. B., Smyrnov I. H. Mizhnarodna lohistyka: navch. pos. / Ia. B. Oliinyk, I. H. Smyrnov. – K. : Obrii, 2011. – 544 s.
- Almashii Ia.I. Mizhnarodnyi dosvid diialnosti turystychnoi sfery/ Almashii Ia.I. – K : Znannia, 2011. – 205 s.
- Davydova O.H.Modeli derzhavnoho rehuliuvannia rozvytku turystychnoi diialnosti: svitovyi dosvid./ Davydova O.H. – K : Efektyvna ekonomika, 2012. – 6 s.
- Ekonomichna i sotsialna heohrafiia svitu : pidruch. dlia 10 kl. zahalnoosvit. navch. zakl. / I.H. Smyrnov, B.P. Yatsenko, V.K. Kiptenko, O.O. Liubitseva ta in. ; za zah. red. B.P. Yatsenka. – K. : Nash chas, 2013. – 472 s.
- Smyrnov I. Viiskovyi turyzm ta yoho resursna baza (na prykladi SShA)/ I.Smyrnov, V.Burnis // Materialy KhKhKhV Vseukr. nauk.-prakt. internet-konf. «Vitchyzniana nauka na zlami epokh: problemy ta perspektyvy rozvytku»: Zb.nauk.pr. Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi, 2017 . – Vyp.35. – S.137-142.
- Smyrnov I. Resursna baza viiskovoho turyzmu SShA (KhKh-KhKhI st.) / I.Smyrnov, V.Burnis // Materialy KhKhVIII Mizhn. nauk.-prakt. internet-konf. «Tendentsii ta perspektyvy rozvytku nauky i osvity v umovakh hlobalizatsii»: Zb.nauk.pr. – Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi, 2017 . – Vyp.28. – S.16-23.
- Smyrnov I.H. Resursna baza viiskovoho turyzmu u SShA / I. Smyrnov, V.Burnis // Turystychnyi biznes: Svitovi tendentsii ta natsionalni priorytety. Materialy VIII mizhn.nauk.-prakt.konf. – Kh.: KhNU imeni V.N.Karazina, 2017. – S.198-200.
Smyrnov I., Burnis V. (2017) Geography of military tourism resource base in USA (ХVIII-XIX cent.). Visnyk Kyivskogo natsionalnogo universytetu, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3-4 (68-69), 134-139 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).