MAPPING OF THE HISTORICAL EVENTS ASSOCIATED WITH HOLOCAUST AND OSTARBEITER ON THE UKRAINIAN LANDS
Pidlisetska I., Siryi B.
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
The key aspects of mapping of the events of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) on the territory of Ukraine were analyzed and historical episodes that do not have sufficient coverage on the national historical maps were identified. The basic concepts of the genocide of Jews and ostarbeiter (deportations of civilians to perform forced labour in Germany) were considered, the geographically overwhelming majority of ostarbeiters were gathered from the territory of modern Ukraine and Belarus. Based on the available statistics and analysis of published cartographic works, the mapping indicators were determined, which make it possible to disclose the nature of these phenomena.
Summarizing the features of these phenomena and taking into account their detailed description and statistical information from sources, it is possible to identify a number of mapping indicators, which most fully throws light on the content of these historical episodes. Therefore, the consequences of the Holocaust for each of the regions of Ukraine can be estimated by comparing the number of the executed Jewish population to its number on the eve of the German occupation. This relative indicator not only demonstrates some districts that received the greatest losses among the Jewish population but also allows to determine the trend in the proportion of manifestations of this phenomenon in the territory of Ukraine. The maps were compiled according to the data from A. Kruglov’s book “The Chronicles of the Holocaust”, exactly, according to the information about the number of Jews who were killed during the Nazi occupation of Ukraine (1941-1944), indicating the place, time of the assassination and the organizers of the massacres. According to modern statistical historical data, two maps on the subject of Holocaust and the German occupational forces in Ukraine have been developed. The interrelation of a number of indicators has been described, which can be traced on the compiled maps.
historical cartography, World War II, Holocaust.
- Kruhlov O.I. Khronika Holocostu v Ukraini. – Zaporizhzhia: Premier, 2004. – 208 s.
- Natsionalnyi atlas Ukrainy. / NAN Ukrainy, Instytut heohrafii, Derzhavna sluzhba heodezii, kartohrafii ta kadastru; hol. red. L.H. Rudenko; holova red. Kolehii B.Ie. Paton. – K.: DNVP «Kartohrafiia», 2007. – 435 s.
- Pastushenko T.V. Ostarbaitery z Kyivshchyny: verbuvannia, prymusova pratsia, repatriatsiia (1942 – 1953). – Kyiv, 2009. – 282 s.
- Pastushenko T.V. Ukrainski prymusovi robitnyky v Raikhu: Skilky yikh bulo? [Elektronnyi resurs] Rezhym dostupu: http://www.historians.in.ua/index.php/en/doslidzhennya/253-tetiana-pastushenko-ukrainski-prymusovi-robitnyky-v-raikhu-skilky-ikh-bulo
- Stier H. Der große Atlas der Weltgeschichte. – Munich: Orbis Verlag, 1990. – 170 p.
Pidlisetska I., Siryi B. (2017) Mapping of the historical events associated with holocaust and ostarbeiter on the Ukrainian lands. Visnyk Kyivskogo natsionalnogo universytetu, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3-4 (68-69), 130-133 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).