TRANSFORMATION DIRECTIONS AND ELEMENTS OF MODERNIZATION IDENTIFICATION WITHIN THE RESEARCH TEST AREA IN THE CITY OF SHPOLA
Melnyk L., Batychenko S.
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Transformation processes are characteristic of any society in different periods of its evolution. Issues that affect transformation processes, changes in the functions of the territory, as well as the identification of centres for modernization are becoming more and more relevant. Particularly good spatial transformations are manifested in the urban environment, where the concentration of the population and its level of activity is much higher. The city is considered as a locality with developed infrastructure and communications, classified by the state as a category of cities (having the status of a city). Today, small cities take an important role in the regional system of relations, since they determine the nature and level of development of social production, productive forces, and innovative opportunities. Research in the field of transformation of urban space is carried out on examples, in the vast majority of large cities of Ukraine. The issues of transformation in the small towns of the country are hardly covered, which led to investigating the issue of transformation of the urban space in the city of Shpola. The purpose of the work is to study the trends of transformation processes and identify the elements of modernization in the model city of research of peripheral and agrarian environment within the test area. To investigate the functional changes of urban space, a test plot was taken in the central part of the city of Shpola. Functional-spatial structure of the test site corresponds to the modern trends of development of the central part of the city by forming administrative, cultural and entertainment, trade, residential, recreational systems. Transformational changes in the city’s space of Shpola are aimed at increasing the number of trade and services objects. The central part of the city has always been a zone of high concentration of the population, therefore, this fact serves as the initiating location of the transformation. The city service facilities, such as trade and catering establishments, recreation and entertainment, cultural institutions are concentrated along the main streets. Within the study area, two centres of modernization can be distinguished: flat in the form of the city centre and linear of Heroes of Krut Street – a linear element of the planning and architectural structure of the city, which connects the bus with the city centre. A promising core of modernization in the territory is the “Sunday” market of agricultural products, an element of modernization as a cafe-bar is functioning.Within the central part of the city, a complex of the territory modernization elements of different functional areas – trade, cultural and recreational, public catering was formed.
small town, transformation, modernization, poll functional changes, peripheral and agricultural environment
- Vyshyvanjuk, M.M. (2010). Reguljuvannja socialno-ekonomichnogo rozvytku malykh mist [Regulation of Social and Economic Development of Small Cities of the Region]. Lviv : Instytut regionalnykh doslidzhen NAN Ukrainy, 25.
- Derun, T.M. (2009). Problemy rozvytku malykh mist v umovakh socialno-ekonomichnoi transformacii ukrainskogo suspilstva [Problems of development of small cities are in condition of socio-economic transformation]. Derzhavne upravlinnja : teorija ta praktyka, 2(10). Available at : http://archive.nbuv.gov.ua/e-journals/Dutp/2009_2/
- Derun, T.M. (2011). Formuvannja ta realizacija derzhavnoi polityky rozvytku malykh mist Ukrainy [Forming and realization of public policy of development of small cities of Ukraine]. K. : Nacionalna akademija derzhavnogo upravlinnja pry Prezydentovi Ukrainy, 23.
- Dnistrjanska, N.I., Dnistrjanskyj, M.S. (2013). Duzhe mali miski poselennja Lvivskoi oblasti : suspilno-geografichnyj potencial ta perspektyvy rozvytku [Very small cities of the Lviv region : human-geographical potential and development prospects]. Lviv : LNU imeni Ivana Franka, 198.
- Dotsenko, A.I. (2011). Osnovni naprjamy sotsialno-ekonomichnoho rozvytku malykh monofunktsionalnykh mist Ukrainy [The main direction of socio-economic development of small monofunctional cities in Ukraine]. Ukrainskyi geografichnyi zhurnal, 1, 51–55.
- Dronova, O.L. (2014). Geourbanistyka : navch. posib. [Geourbanistics : Tutorial]. K. : Vydavnycho-polihrafichnyi tsentr Kyivskyi universytet, 419.
- Zavarika, Gh. M. (2012). Transformacija rozselennja Luganskoi oblasti [Transformation settlement of Luhansk region]. Lugansk : Noulidzh, 179.
- Mezentsev, K.V. (2013). Trendy rozvytku miskykh poselen v Ukraini : stijki ta vrazlyvi mista [Тrends in urban settlements development in Ukraine : strong and vulnerable cities]. : Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka GEOGRAFIYA, 1 (61), 31-36.
- Mezentsev, K.V., Pidgrushnyi, H.P., Mezentseva, N.I. (2014). Regionalnyi rozvytok v Ukraini: suspilno-prostorova nerivnist i poliaryzatsiia [Regional development in Ukraine: socio-spatial inquality and polarization]. K. : DP Print servis, 132.
- Melnyk, I.Gh. (2006). Suspilno-geografichni zasady rozvytku malykh i serednikh mist Luganskoi oblasti [Social and geographical bases of development of small and medium cities of the Luhansk oblast]. K. : KNU imeni Tarasa Shevchenka MON Ukrainy, 20.
- Mozgovyj, A.A. (2004). Funkcionalnyj rozvytok malykh mist v regionalnij systemi rozselennja (na prykladi Podilskoi reghionalnoi systemy rozselennja) [The functional development of small towns in the regional settlement system (for example, Podolia regional settlement system)]. K. : KNU imeni Tarasa Shevchenka MON Ukrainy, 21.
- Pertsyk, E.N. (2009). Geourbanystyka : uchenyk [Geourbanistics: Tutorial]. M., 432.
- Petruk, S.L. (2011). Mali miski poselennja Ukrainy : analiz suchasnogo socialno-ekonomichnogo stanu ta problem rozvytku [Small urban settlement Ukraine : an analysis of contemporary socio-economic state and problems of development]. K. : Ukrainskyj geografichnyj zhurnal, 4, 50–54.
- Pitiurenko Yu.I. (1989). Aglomeratsiia miskykh poselen / Geohrafichna entsyklopediia Ukrainy [Agglomeration of urban settlements. Geographical Encyclopedia of Ukraine]. T. 1. Kyiv : M.P. Bazhan, Ukrainian soviet encyclopedia, 10-11. [In Ukrainian].
- Rudenko, L.Gh. ed. (2015). Funkcyy ghorodov y ykh vlyjanye na prostranstvo [City functions and their influence on the place].K. : Fenyks, 292.
Melnyk L., Batychenko S. (2017) Transformation directions and elements of modernization identification within the research test area in the city of Shpola. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka GEOGRAFIYA [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3-4 (68-69), 87-91 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).