AZOV-SIVASH NATIONAL NATURE PARK
State Ecology Academy of Postgraduate Education and Management
of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
The main territorial areas of the Azov-Sivash National Park, located in the Kherson region, are Biruchiy peninsula, part of the Kuyuk-Tuk island (Genichesk district) and part of the Churyuk island with surrounding small islands – Martynyachyy and China (Novotroitsky district). Island’s areas of psamophytic steppe are the greatest values of a nature reserve in the south of Ukraine. This is an important link in the coastal environmental corridor, a place for birds to nest during seasonal migrations.
The peculiarity of the territory of the national natural park and the adjacent areas is that these lands were massively populated relatively recently – in the nineteenth century. The main natural factor hindering their settlement was the adverse climatic conditions and few fertile soils that prevented the development of an efficient economy. The intermediate geographical position on the way to the Crimea was accompanied by constant raids, instability, nomadic way of life, and did not contribute to the formation of settlements.
Issues of the reservation of the territories and water areas, which are part of today’s park, was raised in the end of XIX century when their active economic development began. At the end of 20-th of the XX century, wide complex research has begun here. To the one in the south of Ukraine, the Askaniya-Nova reserve, there were joined the Dzharylgach Islands and Tendra in the Black Sea, the Churyuk Island in Sivash and the Solonozernaya Dacha in the Kinburnsky spit.
The coastal areas of the Azov and Black Seas, especially Sivash, with their numerous islands and peninsulas and Utlutsky Liman, are the place of concentration of many species of birds that are attracted to the mildness of the climate, rich forage areas and well-protected areas for nesting. It is not casual that through these places there is a great flight path.
This article analyzes the features of the natural environment and resources of the Azov-Sivash national park. Attention is drawn to the geomorphological features of the park’s islands and Biruchiy peninsula. The article also raises the question of modern hunting on the territory of Biruchiy Peninsula, most of which according to the functional zoning is an economic zone.
national park, spit, island, flora, fauna.
- Boyko M.F. Rastitelnyy mir Khersonskoy oblasti: Nauchno-populyarnyy ocherk / M.F. Boyko. N.V. Moskov. V.I. Tikhonov. – Simferopol: Tavriya. – 1987. – 144 s.
- Boiko M.F. Chervonyi spysok Khersonskoi oblasti: Ridkisni ta znykaiuchi vydy roslyn, hrybiv ta tvaryn / M.F. Boiko, M.M. Podhainyi. – Kherson : Ailant, 1998. – 33 s.
- Volokh A. M. Poyavleniye shakala na Ukraine i ego sovremennoe rasprostraneniye // Okhotnik. – K. : 2003. № 9. – S. 12–13.
- Geomorfologiya Ukrainskoy SSR: Ucheb. posobiye / Roslyy I.M., Koshik Yu.A., Paliyenko E.T. i dr. Pod obshch. red. Roslogo I.M. – K. : Vishcha shkola. 1990. – 287 s.
- Hetman V.I. Rekreatsiina diialnist u mezhakh pryrodno-zapovidnoho fondu / V.I. Hetman // Zapovidna sprava v Ukraini / Pid zahalnoiu redaktsiieiu M.D. Hrodzynskoho i M.P. Stetsenka. – K. : Heohrafika, 2003. – S. 162 – 175.
- Dubyna D.V. Plavni Prichernomoria / D.V. Dubyna. Yu.R. Shelyag-Sosonko. – K. : Naukova dumka. 1989. – 269 s.
- Popovych S.Iu. Pryrodno-zapovidna sprava: Navchalnyi posibnyk / S.Iu. Popovych. – K. : Aristei, 2007. – 480 s.
- Proekt orhanizatsii terytorii Azovo-Syvaskoho natsionalnoho pryrodnoho parku, okhorony, vidtvorennia ta rekreatsiinoho vykorystannia yoho pryrodnykh kompleksiv. – Irpin : 1995. – 257 s.
- Fesenko H. V. Ptakhy fauny Ukrainy / H. V. Fesenko, A. A. Bokotei. – K., 2002. – 411 s.
- Fizychna heohrafiia Ukrainskoi RSR / O.M. Marynych, A.I. Lanko, M.I. Shcherban, P.H. Shyshchenko / Pid red. Marynycha O.M. – K. : Vyshcha shkola, 1982. – 208 s.
- Chervona knyha Ukrainy. Tvarynnyi svit / Pid zah. red. Akimova I.A. – K. : Vyd-vo Hlobalkonsaltynh, 2009. – 624 s.
- Sheliah-Sosonko Yu.R. Azovo-Syvaskyi natsionalnyi pryrodnyi park / Zapovidnyky i natsionalni pryrodni parky Ukrainy // Yu.R. Sheliah-Sosonko, V.I. Zubkov. – K. : Vyshcha shkola. – 1999. – S. 186-193.
Getman V. (2017) Azov-Sivash National Nature Park. Visnyk Kyivskogo nacionalnogo universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka GEOGRAFIYA [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 3-4 (68-69), 44-47 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).